Things to do in Des Moines
Element West Des Moines is located just minutes away from FBL Financial Group, Xerox, and Wells Fargo Home Mortgage's corporate offices. Enjoy our proximity to the area's best shopping including Iowa's largest mall, Jordan Creek Town Center. Settle into our spacious guest rooms and spa amenities after exploring the best things to do in Des Moines.
- Blank Park Zoo
- Climb Iowa
- Des Moines Art Center
- Des Moines Civic Center
- Des Moines International Airport
- Drake University
- Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden
- Iowa State Fairgrounds
- Living History Farms
- Walnut Woods State Park
- Wells Fargo Arena
- Jordan Creek Town Center
How To Get Here
- Jordan Creek Town Center, 1.2 miles - Spanning over 1.3 million square feet, this shopping mall offers endless shopping and dining options.
- Walnut Woods State Park, 7.1 miles - Explore this 260-acre state park along Racoon River and featuring black walnut trees.
- Climb Iowa, 8.3 miles - Challenge yourself with over 200 climbing routes in Iowa's largest climbing and training facility.
- Des Moines Art Center, 9.9 miles - This art museum and school is free to visit and features paintings, photographs, and an outdoor sculpture garden.
- Drake University, 10.3 miles - This private university hosts guest lectures, gallery viewings, comedy shows, and concerts year round.
- Wells Fargo Arena, 12.2 miles - Catch a hockey, indoor football, or basketball game year round. Or, catch a live show by your favorite artist.
- Des Moines Civic Center, 12.5 miles - Enjoy traveling broadway shows, dance performances, and musical showcases.
- Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden, 13.6 miles - Walk through plant collections, an indoor conservatory, and explore what's in bloom any time of the year.
- Iowa State Fairgrounds, 15.6 miles - Enjoy over 20 facilities, free parking, campgrounds, and great shows featuring cars, livestock, antiques, and more.
- Living History Farms, 4.9 miles - Learn about the rich 300-year history of Iowa's agriculture through interactive walking tours, wagon rides, or even reserve your spot at the museum's historic dinner.
- Blank Park Zoo, 11.7 miles - Iowa's only accredited zoo is home to everything from penguins to rhinos and offers great events for both kids and adults. Kids will love Night Eyes Halloween celebration or Santa at the Zoo, while adults can enjoy a tasty brew with a view at Zoobrew or Zooktoberfest events.